Call for Entries:
«Bridge Building Across Africa»
Pan-African Contest for Amateur Astronomers/Education & Public Outreach Individuals
Three free places to attend and participate at the
17th Festival in Popular Astronomy in Algeria
03 – 05 October, Constantine, Algeria
Deadline: 10 September 2019
The African Astronomical Society (AfAS) is accepting proposals from African amateur astronomers and EPO individuals. The deadline for submissions of proposals is 10 September 2019. The three best entries will win a free ticket and full accommodation to attend the 17thNational Festival in Popular Astronomy, which will be held from 03 to 05 October 2019 in Constantine, Algeria. Proposals should consist of a specific exhibit on Astronomy or Space, or an original oral presentation for the general public.
The 17thNational Festival in Popular Astronomy will be hosted by the Sirius Astronomy Association under the theme “Under One Sky” in line with the IAU100 celebrations. AfAS will sponsor a return flight ticket to one person from each of the three successful proposals, while the Sirius Astronomy Association will provide for local costs including hotel accommodation, meals and return airport transfers (only in Algeria).
The aims of the 17th National Festival in Popular Astronomy are to:
- Spread the culture of astronomy, and concomitantly the culture of science;
- Provide thematic training for Amateur Astronomers/Education & Public Outreach Individuals;
- Kindle/Strengthen continental links between astronomy associations and participating individuals;
- Engage in joint education and outreach projects.
AfAS is looking to sponsor a proposed exhibit of an original project or a high impact public talk on an astronomy related subject. The proposals must be aligned to the vision of AfAS to create a globally competitive and collaborative astronomy community in Africa, as well as its mission to be the voice of astronomy on the continent and to contribute to addressing the challenges faced by Africa through the promotion and advancement of astronomy;
- The submission must be made by the originator of the proposal;
- The proposer must be an African amateur astronomer or an Education & Public Outreach astronomer. Priority will be given from candidates outside the immediate region of the event (North Africa).
- An individual must submit only one entry;
- The proposed exhibition or presentation must be original and strive to show diversity of Africa and its regions in astronomy activities;
- The proposal must have:
- Name of the proposer; along with contact details and a short CV (no longer than two pages.
- Name of African Country;
- Name of institution/association and a contact person (other than the proposer) from the institution/association should be provided;
- Description of the proposed exhibition or presentation to be showcased at the 17thNational Festival in Popular Astronomy.
- Evidence of appreciable involvement with the local astronomical community and activities will be looked upon favourably.
Submission Procedure and Guidelines
- Please submit your proposal and personal details to: Charles.Takalani@dst.gov.za
- The proposals must be no longer than three pages;
- The proposals must be in Portable Document Format (.pdf) format.
- The description of the proposal may be supported by a PowerPoint presentation with pictures, diagrams (less than 25MB);
- Deadline for submissions is 10 September 2019.
- The selection panel will be the AfAS Executive Committee
- Selected candidates will be informed by 13 September 2019
- Early submissions are encouraged.
- Video or phone interview may be conducted by with some candidates if deemed necessary
Benefits for successful proposals
- Three successful exhibitions and/or presentations proposed to AfAS will be showcased at the 17thNational Festival in Popular Astronomy in Constantine, Algeria, from 03 to 05 October 2019.
- One person will be sponsored per successful proposal.
- AfAS will sponsor a return flight ticket to each of the three proposers of the successful exhibitions or presentations.
- The Sirius Astronomy Association will support local costs including hotel accommodation, meals and return airport transfers (only in Algeria) for the successful proposer.
Please send any enquiry concerning this call to:
- Charles Takalana: Charles.Takalani@dst.gov.za