The University is looking for qualified and experienced individual for the below stated position.
The position is tenable at the BIUST
The position is offered on fixed term contract of five (5) years
Faculty of Science
Physics and Astronomy
MAIN PURPOSE OF THE JOB:
BIUST is rapidly developing its capabilities in Astronomy towards becoming an internationally-recognized centre of excellence in the subject. The University is already designated as the Host Institution of the Botswana African VLBI Network node as part of the nation’s participation in the Square Kilometer Array project and has ambitious plans to develop both optical and other radio astronomy facilities in conjunction with its international partners. The appointment of a Professor of Astronomy is a key part of this strategy.
KEY COMPETENCIES/ SKILLS:
- In-depth understanding of own specialization to enable the development of new knowledge, innovation and understanding within the field.
- Ability to prepare and submit proposals and applications to external bodies e.g. for funding and accreditation purposes.
- Understanding of academic management structures and their functioning.
- Excellent knowledge of the international academic discipline environment.
- Involvement in professional activities where applicable.
- Effective communication skills.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
- A PhD or equivalent in Astronomy or a related field.
- A minimum of ten (10) years’ experience (after obtaining PhD degree) inteaching and research at university level.
- A record of recent and continued publications (minimum of 30 publicationsin reputable, peer-reviewed journals), including evidence of lead-authorpublications.
- Successful supervision of postgraduate students at Masters and DoctoralLevel.
- Record of attracting research grants.
- Engagement in projects/services that benefit the university, profession, andthe community.
- Demonstrated and sustained excellent leadership in academic and professional fields.
The University offers an internationally competitive package commensurate with qualification and experience.
If you meet the requirements of the above stated positions please send your application letter and detailed Curriculum Vitae including at least three (3) recent professional references to;
Director, Human Resources at the email address below. email@example.com
Processing of applications will commence on 01 April 2021
The advert is open until filled.
ONLY SHORTLISTED CANDIDATES WILL BE RESPONDED TO.
For any further enquiries, you may call Ms Taolo/ Ms Oleseng at 4931307/ 4931316