African Astronomical Society (AfAS): Membership Committee Recruitment
The Membership Committee is a crucial sub-committee of AfAS, as we seek to grow the astronomy community on the continent. It is essential that the Committee has sufficient members to enable it to work efficiently and effectively and to enable discussion concerning membership issues from a variety of perspectives. Currently, the Committee has only four members, hence we are seeking to increase this to at least six.
Tasks and Duties of Committee Members
Committee Members would be expected to attend committee meetings which are scheduled once every 2 months, however additional meetings may be required from time to time (eg to review applications for those attending the AfAS annual conference/GA).
The duties of Membership Committee members correspond to those of the Committee itself, outlined below:
- To clarify the membership categories of AfAS (completed).
- To finalise the requirements for each membership category (completed for Individual categories only ie Full, Associate and Student. Honorary, Institutional, National membership categories yet to be finalised).
- To review membership applications and make recommendations for membership to the AfAS Executive Committee.
- To set up, and thereafter periodically review membership fees and benefits (initial document on proposed benefits currently being drafted)
- To liaise with the Communications Committee (and others if required) concerning membership recruitment
- To liaise with the Fundraising Committee concerning membership fees
- To undertake general administration of AfAS membership from recruitment, through application review, annual renewals etc
If you are interested in joining the Membership Committee, please send your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org 31st March 2022. All CVs will undergo a review process by the current Committee with final approval by the AfAS Executive Committee.